Want more for your kids?
We do too!
Frequently we hear from families attending traditional public and private schools that they are tired of it and are looking for something better and different. The common complaints we've heard:
- Too much time preparing for and taking tests
- Lack of recess or reduced recess
- Students unable to learn what they want to learn
- Reduction in art, music, athletics, etc.
- Students pushed forward when not ready
- Students being held back from learning
- Behavioral issues due to boredom
At Makarios Community School we offer an alternative to traditional school.
We believe all students are free to direct their own education. We offer a community that provides the freedom and tools to pursue self-directed learning. We strive to provide a safe and supportive environment for students to experience both failure and success. Our mission is that students leave Makarios as life-long learners with the confidence to make choices in pursuit of their unique interests and goals.
Democratic Free School Community with Flexible Schedules
- Each individual has a vote in decision making
- School Meetings are held 3 times a week
- Judicial Committee teaches students conflict resolution
- Classes are created through member interest
- Weekly field trips and daily excursions
- Full Time: Minimum of 4 days a week
- Campus is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm
- Diverse and approachable with mixed ages 5 to 18
- Students and Staff collaborate in learning
- Experts and volunteers provide insights into many careers and other pursuits of interest